Healthy Banana Pancakes and Syrup
The Sap Run as it is sometimes known, also known as the maple syrup season, is quickly approaching and with a narrow harvest season it requires being ready and quick action by our local farmers or they risk missing out on some quality goodness. Wisconsin is 4thin the nation for maple syrup production at 265,000 gallons and some of the best true maple syrup is found right here in our local region. Sap begins to flow when daytime temperatures reach 40 degrees causing a positive pressure in the tree to push the sap out. Which means fresh syrup is soon on its way.
The usual syrup found in many bottles at restaurants and grocery stores have little to do with the namesake it carries on the bottle. Often in place of maple syrup large manufactures use high fructose syrup or at best refined white sugar. While these alternatives are good at tasting good and are typically at the right price, they have no health benefits and in fact result in high triglycerides levels, linked to heart disease and diabetes. Maple syrup on the other hand contains several health benefits listed below.
- Zinc- ¼ cup of Maple syrup contains 41 percent of your daily requirements of Zinc. Zinc is known to be an antioxidant, immune boosting, involved in cellular growth and regeneration.
- Manganese- ¼ cup provides 100 percent of your daily requirement and helps improve your level of good cholesterol as well as improve mental health.
- Calcium- great for bones and teeth.
- Riboflavin-helps the body break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats to produce energy, and it allows oxygen to be used by the body.
- Magnesium- natural muscle relaxant and lowered risk of heart disease
- Potassium- helps to maintain a normal blood pressure
Although maple syrup is great it requires a medium to eat other that of the tip of a finger.
A simple high protein all natural banana pancake recipe is below.
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 eggs
That's it! Just 2 ingredients.
Blend well in a blender and cook like a standard pancake. A little grass-fed butter, chopped walnuts and Real maple syrup can turn this favorite into a choice far healthier than the corn syrup covered flour alternative.